Thursday, November 6, 2008

fresh chicken , what I have learned

This week I picked up 4 chickens at the farm where I always get my chickens. I took three apart and packaged and froze the meat then used the carcass's to make the best chicken broth ever. I went to roast the last bird a little over 6 lbs, It's legs were sticking straight up to the sky and I had a hard time tying them together. After it was done cooking the leg did not wiggle as it should. I know the first year I was told to let them relax a few days before cooking so they would relax. I roasted the bird on Wednesday and it was killed on Sunday and I guess it was still in rigor. I read more on this and it says to have the chicken set for a few days, but I guess this one needed more time. We could not even cut the dark meat and the white wasn't very tender. I hope the ones i froze will be better. I have never had this happen before although sometimes the legs are tough but I attribute that to them being able to run around. We had the white meat reheated in gravy tonight and it was O.K. I ground more up for chicken croquettes for tomorrow. Still some meat left not sure what that will turn into. It may be tough but I will not waste food so I will make it edible with a little creativity. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Hi, your story about the rigor and the legs not wiggling was hi-larious!! You must be a hoot after a glass of wine. Roxanne

  Local Dining One of the first warm evenings of the year means a trip somewhere for seafood on the water. Usually this trip would be to the...