Sunday, April 18, 2010

What to do with a grass fed brisket?




I lucked out and bought 2 grass fed briskets at the farmers market. They were from Plato's Harvest in Middleboro.Usually I would slow cook the brisket with prunes and orange juice and wine and other good things but I decided on corned beef. I corned the beef in a salt,sugar and spice mixture with some cure power. I let it sit in the refrigerator for 9 days in this solution. Then slow cooked it for about 3 hours. This was the best corned beef ever (if i do day so myself) so lean and yummy. No guilt with this meal. After the traditional corned beef and cabbage I made corned beef hash with eggs. This also was great. Now I have to decide how to cook the other one!

3 comments:

Queen of Cuisine said...

Cure powder? Can you enlighten me?

laurie said...

The recipe I used was from Alton Brown and called for 2 tbls of salt peter for a 5 lb brisket.I had a very small brisket under 2 lbs I bought (backwoods lem cure) from bass sporting goods they carry a lot of meat processing stuff for hunters. This had sodium nitrate i believe this is the same as salt peter. It is used to keep a red color. 1/4 tsp per pound.

Queen of Cuisine said...

Thanks, Laurie!

  Local Dining One of the first warm evenings of the year means a trip somewhere for seafood on the water. Usually this trip would be to the...