Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eat Local Challenge day 30

Today breakfast was homemade whole wheat bread with strawberry rhubarb jam, all local. Lunch was a greek salad, local lettuce and cucumbers from the farmers market with my tomato's and cows milk feta from Narragansett Creamery in Rhode Island. The dressing was homemade with local red wine vinegar only non local item was olive oil. Dinner meatloaf from yesterday, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans from Freitas farm in Middleboro. The meatloaf was made with all local ingredients. Today was the last day of the Plymouth farmers market for this year. They still had a great selection of produce,jams&jellies,Baked goods,goat milk cheese and ice cream and meat. I was able to buy some grass fed beef and bacon and ground pork and sausage from Plato's Harvest in Middleboro. I also stocked up on carrots,cabbage,green beans. Joe bought us chocolate buns from Jenny's breads, they are so good.When I returned home there was a message that the farm I get my chickens from will be butchering on Sunday so I will get my chickens for the year.From now on my goal will be to cook as much as possible from what we have and only visit the market for perishables, butter,milk,ect.

No comments:

  Local Dining One of the first warm evenings of the year means a trip somewhere for seafood on the water. Usually this trip would be to the...